Forum Logo 510 x 65.png

Browns moving “full speed ahead” with Joel Bitonio at LT

in Forenregeln 18.12.2018 09:18
von liny195 | 112 Beiträge | 672 Punkte

So much for plans “A” through “Y”. The Cleveland Browns are moving forward with plan “Z” in sliding Pro Bowl left guard Joel Bitonio over to left tackle to replace sure-fire hall of famer Joe Thomas.That’s a very tall task White Jarvis Landry Jersey , but one for which coach Hue Jackson believes Bitonio is up to task.Bitonio played a significant amount of the first-team left tackle snaps for the first time on Wednesday, according to the Akron-Beacon Journal’s Nate Ulrich.“We made the decision that maybe our best five right now is putting Joel out at left tackle, putting (OL Austin) Corbett at left guard and going from there,” Jackson said following Wednesday’s practice. “Not saying that Joel might be there the whole time. “Right now, he is there.”Jackson didn’t close the door on others stepping into the role eventually, but he reiterated that Bitonio has moved from plan “Z” to plan “A” in under one week of camp.“Obviously, there could be some people within our team that could play it, but right now, I think that he gives us the best chance to go out and play tackle and solidify the offensive line right now.”Although Jackson says Bitonio is today’s best option for his team, the coach has been known to flip flop and waver in past personnel decisions. He has been extremely fluid with the quarterback position, especially, despite having conviction when naming several different starters during his two seasons with the team.Nevertheless, Jackson left himself some more wiggle room by leaving a big door open for former first-round pick Greg Robinson. Robinson has missed most of training camp after sustaining a concussion during last Friday’s camp session.“It is full speed ahead with Joel, but Greg (Robinson) will factor into that,” Jackson hedged. “He has not practiced enough. “I do not know enough about him yet to say if he can or if he can’t. We have to give him a chance to get out there, get back healthy and compete.”Bitonio hasn’t been fully supportive of the change. After all, the fifth-year lineman has made his money on the interior, and moving to the outside tackle spot is a new and unknown challenge.Jackson said the Browns assured him they think the move is what’s best for the team, but also that they are going to continue to do “everything” they can to explore other options. That makes it sound like general manager John Dorsey may be busy in the upcoming weeks Youth Jabrill Peppers Jersey , whether through trades or scouring the waiver wire as roster cuts go down.Shon Coleman looks to be on the outside looking in for the role, even if Bitonio doesn’t end up as the team’s left tackle this season. The third-year lineman started all 16 games for the Browns at right tackle last season, but moving to the left is a difficult and complex transition.“Shon needs time; it is time,” Jackson said when asked about Coleman’s inconsistencies in camp. “I think that there are a lot of things that Shon did well. When I look at it, overall for where we are, that position has to play better for us. “This is the decision that I made.”Rookie Austin Corbett has moved into Bitonio’s former left guard spot, and he seems to have Jackson’s full support in that position if Bitonio does indeed end up making the switch permanently.It’s increasingly growing worrisome that the team has been so seemingly nonchalant about the left tackle position this offseason. Now, one week into training camp and preparing for their first preseason game, Jackson is moving one of his star players to a new position.Something tells me this situation could have been handled better, especially given the importance of the position.Joe Thomas, any chance you’re contemplating coming out of retirement?Now would be a great time to announce it. Josh Dobbs has never been cut from a team in his life, no matter the sport. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback understands the streak is in jeopardy due to the indelicate politics that come with putting together an NFL roster.It's a reality Dobbs can live with if he has to. Then again, after throwing for a touchdown and running for another in a 39-24 preseason victory over Carolina on Thursday night, Dobbs made a compelling case to stick around — be it in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in the league."I don't really get too nervous," Dobbs said. "I don't really play that game. I know it's a stressful time. I'll just let it play itself out. That's all I can do. I know it's not really in my hands. I feel like I've played well. Played strong."Dobbs, fighting for one of the backup jobs behind Ben Roethlisberger, vaulted into the end zone for a 3-yard scoring run to cap Pittsburgh's first drive. He added a 27-yard strike to Tevin Jones later in the opening quarter and finished 8 of 12 for 151 yards to cap an impressive training camp."I think it's night and day from this season to last season," said Dobbs, a fourth-round pick in 2017. "Just in total command and understanding of the offense and then being able to go out and make plays on the field. Throughout the preseason White Terrance Mitchell Jersey , I was able to make plays when I was given my opportunity. It shows in my command, I think it shows in my play and in how the offense was able to move up and down the field."It just might not be enough for Dobbs to stick around.Dobbs, veteran Landry Jones and rookie Mason Rudolph are all vying for a backup spot behind Ben Roethlisberger. Jones, who has played well while filling in for Roethlisberger over the last three seasons, is likely safe. So too is Rudolph, a third-round pick this spring who came on for Dobbs late in the first half on Thursday and threw for a pair of touchdowns of his own.The Steelers (3-1) could keep all four quarterbacks when rosters are trimmed to 53 on Saturday, then perhaps deal one of the backups — Dobbs being the best candidate — to add depth elsewhere.While Dobbs stressed he loves Pittsburgh, he insisted he's not going to lose sleep trying to figure out the various scenarios."You have to focus on the task at hand, focus on the process and focus on what you can control and just keep hitting the wall," Dobbs said. "It will break at some point."CAROLINA'S QUANDARYThe quarterback math isn't quite so complicated for the Panthers (3-1). Taylor Heincke and Garrett Gilbert have spent the last six weeks trying to gain some separation in the fight to back up Cam Newton.Heincke started the finale and moved the ball, going 7 of 12 for 68 yards and a 6-yard touchdown to Mose Frazier. Gilbert came on in the second quarter and was 4 of 7 for 23 yards. Rookie Kyle Allen played the entire second half, completing 25 of 35 passes for 250 yards and a score."I think there are some good things," Rivera said. "It's tough when you are not playing with everybody, but we know that going in, it was going to be tough. And we'll take a look at that and we will evaluate. We'll come to a conclusion in the next couple days."SWITZER DEBUTSPittsburgh wide receiver Ryan Switzer capped a frantic 72-hour stretch by returning one punt for 9 yards and averaging 21.5 yards on two kickoff returns. Switzer — acquired from Oakland on Monday to bolster the Steelers' return game — also saw a handful of snaps at receiver but was not targeted.INJURIESPanthers: RB Elijah Hood (lower body) was hurt on the opening kickoff and did not return.Steelers: S Malik Golden (knee) was carted off the field in the fourth quarter. Golden was also hurt in the 2017 preseason finale against Carolina. WR Damoun Patterson (turf toe), LB Keith Kelsey (pectoral) and LB Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (hamstring) also left with injuries.ANTHEMThere were no protests by players on either team during the national anthem.UP NEXTPanthers: Welcome Dallas to Bank of America Stadium for the season opener on Sept. 9.Steelers: Open at Cleveland for the second straight season when they visit the Browns on Sept. 9.

nach oben springen

Schachforum64 © 2013 | Die Nutzung des Webboards zu gewerblichen Zwecken ohne ausdrückliche Genehmigung ist untersagt.
Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: Qacvcla
Besucherzähler
Heute waren 1791 (gestern 1869) Gäste und 9 (gestern 7) Mitglieder online

Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 12558 Themen und 29726 Beiträge.

Heute waren 9 Mitglieder Online:

Besucherrekord: 91 Benutzer (25.12.2017 13:48).

Xobor Ein Kostenloses Forum von Xobor.de
Einfach ein Forum erstellen